What We Do
Since the inception of our firm in 1982, we have continually and selectively grown to provide our clients with quality-driven, comprehensive representation. Our attorneys are carefully chosen for their character, talents, experience and overall potential. Their skills and personalities are diverse in order to meet the high level of service our clients continually demand.
As such, below are a few of the services we provide.
- Local Governments – With Tennessee State Senator, Doug Overbey, and former Knox County Law Director, John Owings, in our firm, we bring insight and experience to the representation of local governments in Tennessee rarely found anywhere else. For over 30 years our firm has served the cities, counties, school systems, utility districts, and other local governments of Tennessee with their legal needs, ranging from administration, contract, and employment law to codes enforcement, budgeting and expenditures, litigation, pension plan management, and environmental issues.
- Municipal Finance – In addition to general municipal representation, we have served as Bond Counsel on issues of Capital Outlay Notes, Tax Anticipation Notes, Limited Tax Bonds, Revenue Bonds, Revenue and Limited Tax Bonds and General Obligation Bonds, participating in over $10.9 billion in public finance transactions.
- Business Organizations – Dedicated to serving businesses of every size, we believe a business functions most efficiently when its representatives serve all of its needs- not just a few. For years we have been helping businesses with formation and dissolution, contracts, employment issues, governmental compliance, and shareholder disputes, representing them in both state and federal courts.
- Tax – Our clients depend on us for both business and personal tax planning needs including business restructuring and major asset dispositions. Cade Morgan, who received his LLM in taxation from the University of Florida, leads the way when representing clients in disputes before the Internal Revenue Service at the federal level and, at the state level, before the Tennessee Department of Revenue and State Board of Equalization.
- Antitrust & Unfair Competition – Our senior partner, Doug Overbey, has been recognized for years as a top attorney in the field of Antitrust law. He and his team have assisted clients with antitrust analysis in the context of mergers and acquisitions, price review and inquiry, and other market study. Additionally, in the case of antitrust action, we also guide our clients through their defense.
- Medical Malpractice Defense – Our firm’s medical malpractice team, led by David Waite, represents physicians, nurses, hospitals, nursing homes and other health care providers when they are sued for malpractice or investigated by a government agency.
- Healthcare Organizations and Regulation – As general counsel to a continuing care retirement community, we have assisted with government and regulatory compliance, day-to-day administration questions, and litigation. Our healthcare practice includes mergers and acquisitions of healthcare facilities and medical practices, worker’s compensation issues, and obtaining certificates of need for expansion.
- Elder law – Our elder law team, under the direction of Felicia Coalson, is passionate about serving the Senior Community of East Tennessee. They work hard to provide guidance in the areas of: Estates, Trusts, Legacy Planning, Life Planning, Long Term Care Planning and Abuse Prevention.
- Litigation – In today’s world, disputes often arise that cannot be solved without the intervention of our court system. The objective of our litigation team, under the guidance of Shelly Wilson, is to aggressively represent clients in the courts and resolve disputes successfully. We also help clients avoid litigation through the use of negotiation and alternative dispute resolution strategies.